Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Ask the Consul July 2008

Ask the Consul

July 2008

Q: I am scheduling my visa interview online and there is a question which asks for my "identification code." What is that?

Your identification code is the number found on the receipt you received after paying the visa application fee at ArmEconomBank.

Q: I recently applied for and received an F-1 visa to study in the United States. My classes do not start until September, but my cousin is getting married in July in California. Can I enter the U.S. on my F-1 visa to go to her wedding?

Unfortunately, according to U.S. law you may not enter the United States more than 30 days before your classes start. To attend the wedding and enter the U.S. legally, you would have to apply for and receive a B1/B2 visa. Then, after the wedding, you would have to leave the country temporarily (by going to Mexico, for example) and re-enter during the 30 day period before your classes start.

Q: I am an Iranian citizen living in Iran. Can I apply for a visa to the United States in Yerevan?

Iranian citizens residing in Iran usually apply for visas at the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, Turkey or at the U.S. Consulate-General in Dubai, U.A.E. These two locations have Farsi speaking staff with local knowledge of Iran who can best judge an applicant's ties to Iran - a key factor in determining eligibility for a tourist visa. There should be no need for you to apply for a visa in Armenia; you should apply in Ankara or Dubai.

If you do choose to apply for a visa here in Armenia, please carefully read the information 'Applicants not Ordinarily Resident in Armenia' at:

For more information about applying in either Dubai or Ankara, please contact these locations directly. The e-mail of the U.S. Consulate-General in Dubai, U.A.E. is To e-mail the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, Turkey, please visit

Further information on the application process and how to schedule an interview is available on these embassy's websites at or

Q: I am an American citizen and I have applied for a visa for my fiancée to come to the United States to join me. I have received notification from the National Visa Center that her case was approved, and now she is supposed to be called for an interview to the Embassy in Yerevan. Why hasn´t she heard anything yet?

Usually, the reason she has not been contacted yet is the National Visa Center has transferred the case but we have not received it yet at the Consular Section. As soon as the case arrives in Yerevan, we will contact your fiancée for an interview.

Q: I am an American citizen traveling to Armenia. Where can I get information about travel conditions?

First of all, you can register with the Embassy by going to this website: This registration helps the Embassy provide important services to American citizens abroad: issuing a replacement passport, locating individuals in cases of family emergency, relaying important travel and safety information about the region, and other administrative services relating to personal documentation.

In addition, the State Department maintains Country Specific Information on each country of the world, providing basic information on travel conditions. The Department also issues travel alerts and travel warnings, as required, giving notice of dangerous conditions in countries worldwide. You may obtain a copy of Armenian´s Country Specific Information at